Friday, April 6, 2012

The Factors Contributing to our Daily Work Attitude

As they say , We are our biggest fan and also worst critics.

But the minute you give in to constantly being your worst critic, you will find yourself in a world of trouble.

Many times at jobs, we are motivated by certain factors: Money, Acknowledge, Potential Growth.. etc


These factors contribute to our daily attitude

More Importantly, the minute any of them go disarray(Especially if we are given criticism or unwanted feedback)

We immediately go into:

 "Defense Mode" 


We find ourselves needing to rebuttal any:

  • direction
  • criticism
  • pointers, 
  • or even just a basic conversation where they are needing to clarify certain points.

I can honestly speak from experience on this matter.

Granted I have had previous employers come into my office, only point out the negative then begin to make derogatory statements about my race, weight, and lifestyle.

But What I am referencing is when an employer says,

"Hey I would like you to do this or to do it this way, even though from the outside looking in you did an amazing job"

It throws you a bit of a curve ball, but at the end of the day, they mean well and they are giving you direction.

Being able to take direction is key in the workplace. 

Bosses rely on the fact that you can take their advice/direction and run with it.

The employees they dread are the ones that do not listen and quickly go into "Defense Mode"

Coming from a Sales Background, my natural reaction was to have a rebuttal for everything that was told to me.

Wrong!

That drove my boss crazy and gave them fuel to tell me more of what I did wrong.

If I had simply said, "Yes sir or ma'am"

The Conversation would of been over.

Remember in every conversation, there is a time and place and there is the ability to stay say nothing.

Much like in sales, Agreeing or saying Nothing(unless it warrants a response) is a safe bet

At the end of the day, do not let outside factors affect your success

Keep yourself motivated and keep the end goal in mind.

Anthony F.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wait a minute ?! Don't forget to leave a comment !